Located in the heart of mountain pastures in summer and skiing area in winter, the chapel was built in the 1960s, on a rock that was called in ancient times "the wolves stone" or the "cursed stone".
At first, a chapel was founded in 1438 on this place, when it was depending of La Chapelle d'Abondance. Châtel became a parish in 1643. A parish church was built in 1662, and was extended in 1848 so as to be large enough for the population and the first tourists. To find out the times of the masses, go to the website.
It was built in 1630 near the path of Morgins, under the patronage of Notre-Dame-des-Neiges, Saint-Bernard et Saint-Martin. During extension works in 1886, a little bell tower and a Virgin statue were added on the roof.
There are also about twenty oratories in Châtel, called "lou perdons" in regional dialect.